On April 24 the Missions of Nigeria and Canada to the United Nations, the Savannah Center for Diplomacy, Democracy, and Development (Abuja), the Instituto Igarapé (Rio de Janeiro), the Alliance for Peacebuilding (Washington, D.C.), the UN 2020 Initiative (Ottawa), and the Stimson Center (Washington, D.C.), co-sponsored a U.N. High-Level Meeting on Peacebuilding and Sustaining Peace side event on “Ideas and Global Platforms for Preventing Violent Conflict and Sustaining Peace on the Road to 2020” (please click here for the summary report. Please also click here for Professor Ibrahim Gambari’s (Savannah Center) remarks and click here for Fergus Watt’s (UN 2020) remarks, as well as Adriana Abdenur’s (Instituto Igarapé) presentational slides by clicking here).
The UN 2020 Initiative (co-conceived by CIVICUS: World Alliance for Citizen Participation, the World Federalist Movement – Institute for Global Policy, the Workable World Trust, and the Stimson Center) continues to work to engage stakeholders and develop a U.N. system that meets the challenges of the 21st century. Learn more about the work that UN 2020 Initiative is doing here. To receive progress updates on deliberations within, for example, the UN Ad-Hoc Working Group of the General Assembly on Revitalization, the Group of Friends for the Future of the UN, and a newly re-constituted UN 70 friends group to focus on UN 75, please click here.
Finally, we are pleased to share recent resources in support of the U.N.’s “Sustaining Peace” agenda on the Road to a UN 2020 Summit (as called for in the Albright-Gambari Commission’s “Confronting the Crisis of Global Governance” report):
- UNGA 12014 (2018) and UNSC 2413 (2018) resolutions to accelerate the United Nations’ “Peacebuilding and Sustaining Peace” agenda
- The Report of the Secretary-General on Peacebuilding and Sustaining Peace
- The World Bank and the United Nations’ Pathways for Peace: Inclusive Approaches to Preventing Violent Conflict
- UNGA 70/262 (2016) and UNSC 2282 (2016) “Peacebuilding Resolutions” that mandated the January 2018 Secretary-General’s Report and April 2018 High-Level Meeting
- The summary of the 18-19 January 2018 Doha Regional Dialogue on Sustaining Peace (including the call for a Global Conference on Preventive Diplomacy)
- The summary of the 14 December 2017 Stimson Center, Alliance for Peacebuilding, and UNA-NCA Experts Dialogue on the Emerging UN Sustaining Peace Effort
- The archived video of the 11 April 2018 Stimson Center, Alliance for Peacebuilding, and UNA-NCA panel discussion on “The United Nations New ‘Sustaining Peace’ Agenda: Will it help to reduce violence in fragile and conflict-affected countries?”
- The archived video of the 24 January 2018 Stimson Center Alliance for Peacebuilding, and UNA-NCA experts conversation with the Institute for Economic & Peace on “New Frontiers in Peace Metrics: A Discussion on Sustainable Development Goal #16”
- The archived video of the 6 December 2017 USIP, UNF, and UNA-NCA panel discussion with UN Under-Secretary-General for Peacekeeping Operations Jean-Pierre Lacroix on “UN Peacekeeping is Vital—and So Is its Reform”
- Commentary on the “UN, World Bank Reports: Policy Breakthroughs on Sustaining Peace?” International Peace Institute Global Observatory
- Commentary on the “UN Peace & Security Secretariat Reforms: An Important Step Forward?” Alliance for Peacebuilding
- Commentary on “Hitting the Reset on the UN?” Stimson Spotlight
- Study on “Mobilizing Smart Coalitions and Negotiating Global Governance Reform” The Hague Institute for Global Justice and Stimson
- Chapter on the “Peaceful Settlement of Disputes and Conflict Prevention” forThe Oxford Handbook on the United Nations” (2nd edition)
- Essay on “One Hundred Year’s Since the Great War’s End: Time to Transform the United Nations Through Just Security” Academic Council on the UN System
- New companion volume to the Report of the Albright-Gambari Commission on Global Security, Justice & Governance, entitled Just Security in an Undergoverned World (OUP 2018) … please inquire about the 30% authors’ discount and stay tuned for launch events at the UN, in D.C., and elsewhere.